Sunday, November 29, 2009

Slight change in plan...

More on that in a minute. First, had a great week, finally kicked the chest cold that has hampered me for the past 10 days or so. Decent shorter runs on Tuesday (at the YMCA on one of the new nice treadmills) and an abbreviated beach loop on Thanksgiving morning, then a great 7 miler on Saturday. Three months ago I wouldn't have been able to run 7 miles, but Saturday it went great. LSD-style, cruised the first 3.5 miles, then increased the pace slightly on the back half with mile 7 the fastest of all for a negative split run. Had I not cranked on mile 7 there would have been plenty in the tank for another mile or so. Eight weeks until the 1/2 marathon in Carlsbad and I'm feeling like I'm in a good position.

So about that change in plans, after giving it some thought, I'm not going to be doing the San Diego Rock and Roll marathon. I don't need to have a marathon under my belt to be able to complete Ironman, and my concern is that given that I'm a big guy the marathon would be really hard on my body, would take a long time to recover from and would set me back on my other training. I'll be better served focusing on some solid long rides that weekend.

On that note, I haven't been able to ramp up my bike training yet. While I need to focus on the run for Carlsbad, there are only 8 weeks between the 1/2 marathon and Ironman 70.3 California, and I need to get some miles in between now and late-January. I will work in some saddle time this week.

This week my training schedule is:

Run Monday (easy), Wednesday (moderate, some speed work), Friday (moderate), Sunday (8 miles)

Bike Tuesday (spin), Thursday (easy 1 hour ride), Saturday (2 hours easy / moderate effort)

Swim Wednesday, Saturday

Signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment