Saturday, November 14, 2009

Good week for running

This has been a great week for running. I've switched up the program a bit, running every other day, as opposed to three days in a row then a rest day then another run, and my legs are feeling great. The week started out last Sunday with a solid 5 miles down to the boardwalk and back around the bay. Then medium effort 3 mile runs at Harbor Island on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons. Harbor Island is a terrific place to run. It's 1.5 miles end-to-end, there are no stop signs or traffic lights, there are concrete, asphalt and grass surfaces, and the scenery is amazing. Aircraft carriers on the harbor, lots of pleasure boats, the beautiful San Diego skyline, and if you're lucky you'll catch the Oracle trimaran, this years U.S. entry in the America's Cup sailing race. I saw the Oracle on Tuesday and Thursday, pretty amazing. My friend Barrett who runs South Coast Yachts on Harbor Island captured it on video, you can see it here.


The Oracle's mast is 160 feet tall, made of carbon fiber, and big enough around that a person can crawl up the inside of the mast to the top. In the right conditions it can sail more than twice the speed of the wind.

This morning was my "LSD" run (long slow distance), I did 6 miles, down to the beach, to the roller coaster, and back along the bay. It felt great, nice and strong, the second half was faster than the first. My running is coming along. Can't say the same about my bike training, but will try to get on track next week.

Bear down Arizona and beat Cal today!

No comments:

Post a Comment