Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Training Plans

With training officially under way, I thought I'd discuss how I plan to prepare for the 4 events in 2010. Leading up to each event is a different phase of my training. For Phase I, training for the Carlsbad 1/2 Marathon, I'm following a 12-week program that has me running 4 days each week, with 3 days consecutive running, a rest day, then a long run. I'll be running Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday, although I am going to cut myself some slack and make adjustments from time to time.

Phase II, preparing for Ironman 70.3, starts November 2 and overlaps with Phase I through the end of January. The training program I'm following was created by Craig Zelent, an accomplished local triathlete and one of the coaches for the Triathlon Club of San Diego. The program can be found here.
http://media.triclubsandiego.com/documents/California+70.3+Half+Ironman+2009.pdf Essentially the program involves alternating a long distance week with a "brick" week. For the distance weeks there's a long ride and run, which I'll do Saturday and Sunday, with shorter workouts spaced throughout the week. For the brick weeks Saturdays involve a long bike ride immediately followed by a run, and Sundays involve a long run on dead legs.

Programs for Phase III (training for the full marathon in June) and Phase IV (preparation for Ironman Arizona) will be determined after the Carlsbad race in January.

By the way, had a good 3 mile run earlier this evening. Signing off for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment